Have you ever noticed that a simple smile can brighten your day?
I’ve had mornings where it seems that EVERYTHING has gone wrong. Let’s set the stage:
1. Everyone in the house gets moving a little later than planned.
2. The kids are less than cooperative and don’t quite understand the importance of not missing the bus. Missed bus = unhappy mom.
3. My poor planning has resulted in not having a plan for packed lunches.
4. I forgot to put clothes in the dryer and the items I wanted to wear to work are soaking wet. Ugh!
5. The kids want breakfast – say what? They want to eat at a time like this?
6. Now the kids are fighting.
7. The dogs have to go out and, while doing their duties, one steps in something not so pleasant. Fantastic!
8. I run into traffic on the way to work and it takes much longer to get to my office.
Come on, I know you’ve been there too! So, after a horrible morning I walk into my office to be greeted by coworkers asking the inevitable “How are you?” question. After scowling to my desk I think, “When will this day be over?”
Then, something happens. Others have smiles on their faces when they approach me. There’s lighthearted conversations and laughter. Suddenly, my mood lifts. The stress from the morning vanishes.
Happiness is catching. When you are surrounded by happiness it is very difficult to feel your depths of despair.
Here is your mission: The next time you are around people, whether it be at work, a social setting, a school function, or even at the grocery store – Be so happy that when others look at you they become happy too.
Life is too short for us to spend time being unhappy over a bad morning. Make a difference – smile – lift someone’s mood and spread happiness.